How to Breed American Bullies
Welcome to part two of how to successfully breed American Bullies. If you haven’t read part 1 yet, you can do so here: How to become an American Bully Breeder.
When starting your program, it’s important to only purchase female puppies for your breeding program. Many breed try to take shortcuts and purchase adult females to start their breeding program. I highly advise against this. It would be a rare occasion for a dog breeder to sell a quality adult female that is able to produce puppies. It’s unfortunate, but this happens all of the time. A kennel offers an adult female dog for sale knowing the the dog is unable to produce litters. You invest time and money into the dog, only to find out that the dog is unable to breed. Your safest bet is to purchase a few female pups from a reputable breeder and wait until they mature.
How to avoid scams when purchasing a puppy
When looking for a puppy, it’s very easy to run across an ad that is a scam on the internet. Usually, scam artist use classified ads and post dog they don’t even own. There are even kennels that have websites and registered domains that will rip you off as well. It is very easy to protect your money when it comes to purchasing a pup. If you following these rules, you have no chance of falling victim to a scam.
- Pick the Puppy up in person and pay cash if possible. Make sure the puppy’s papers are with a puppy at the time of purchase. Don’t fall for the old “the puppies registration papers will be in the mail” line. Be firm and make sure the puppy’s UKC papers are in hand. If the dog isn’t registered with the UKC, don’t bother purchasing the puppy. Any respectable American Bully Breeder will have their litter registered with UKC.
- If you can’t pick the puppy up in person, make sure you use Paypal. Paypal is a great way to send money online securely. If the transaction turns out to be fraudulent, paypal will reimburse you money.
- Tell the breeder to send pictures of both the sire and dam’s registration papers.
- Never use money gram or western union to send payment.
- If you can’t use paypal, use a credit card. A dispute can be filed with your credit company if the transaction is fraudulent as well.
Becoming part of the American Bully Community
Advertising your Kennel Online
The days of advertising your litter in the newspaper are long gone. Social media should be the only choice when it comes to advertising your kennel. The best and most effective social media outlets for advertising your kennel:
- Google Plus
- ABKC forums (Found on Facebook)
- Instagram (Make sure to add proper tags to your photos #bully #abkc #pitbulls ext.)
How to Produce Consistent Litters That sell using Line Breeding
When it comes to breeding bullies, the more extreme style dogs tend to sell the best. People want a dog that stands our from the crowd. The best way to reproduce consistent litters that will ensure your dogs look like their ancestors, is by line breeding.
Line breeding is very important to to reproduce puppies that have the same structure, movement, temperament and genetic inheritance such as bites and hearing, hips, as well as soundness, style, drive and showmanship.
One of the most common and best ways to line breed a dog is by taking a female back to the brother of it’s father (Uncle bred to Niece). Example of how to do a line breeding correctly.
- Find a dog breeder has a great looking stud dog and also owns the dog’s brother.
- Purchase a puppy from on of the stud’s litters
- Immediately purchase frozen semen straws from the stud dog’s brother.
- You would want to purchase enough straws for at-least two breedings, three would even be better. (This will ensure you will be able to repeat the breeding if the first breeding isn’t successful)
When the puppies is old enough to be bred (Usually around 2 years of aga) you will have have a solid line breeding ready to take place (uncle / niece line breeding). It won’t matter if the price of their stud raised, the stud passed away, or any other situation where the stud wouldn’t be able to breed. You already have the frozen straws stored and ready to use. You are also well on your way to producing a litters that have the potential to outproduce the kennel that you got your dogs from.
You can store frozen semen for 30 years and it will work just as good as it did on day one. Find a reputable veterinarian that preforms surgical artificial inseminations as well as stores frozen semen prior to planning this breeding. Surgical AI’s have a much better chance of taking in comparison to your standard AI.
Your goal in every breeding should be produce the best possible dogs. When you produce consistent litters and amazing bullies, the puppies will sell themselves.