Dog ate Chocolate? Don’t panic, use these tips to save them.

dog ate chocolate emergency
If your dog ate chocolate, don’t panic. Follow the steps below to potentially save your dog’s life.

It’s hard to think of chocolate as being something that’s poisonous, but one of the world’s most popular sweets for humans can be deadly for canines, if eaten in large quantities.

Why is chocolate so dangerous for dogs? Chocolate contains a chemical called thebromine, which is safe for humans, but can kill your dog.

If you’ve discovered that your dog has accidentally eaten a large amount of chocolate, all is not lost. If you act quickly, your pet can be saved. Here’s what you should do if your dog eats chocolate:

Consult your vet immediately: If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, your first phone call should be to your veterinarian. Your vet will be able to deliver the type of emergency care that you won’t be able to give at home. This can mean the difference between life and death for your dog.

Induce vomitting: If you’re not close to a vet’s office then your first step should be to induce vomiting. Your dog may involuntarily start throwing up after it eats chocolate but if it doesn’t, you should try to make it happen. It may be emotionally difficult for you to intentionally make your dog sick but it’s absolutely necessary in a situation like this. Here’s how you can encourage your dog to vomit.

Steps to take if your dog ate chocolate:

  • Give your dog a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Mix the peroxide with water or vanilla ice-cream to make it more palatable to your pup and easier to swallow.
  • Get your dog moving. Take her on a walk for about 15 minutes. All of this physical activity will help to induce vomitting.
  • If your dog does not vomit after about half an hour, do not give her another dose of peroxide. Too much of this chemical can be harmful to your dog too.

Get them some grass: Dogs will often naturally eat grass when they’ve eaten something that disagrees with their digestive systems. The grass can help the dog to vomit and thereby eliminate chocolate in the stomach.

Dilute the chocolate: If you can’t get your dog to vomit, then feed her something that she enjoys eating. This can dilute the harmful chocolate in the system and reduce the potency of the thebromine.

Dogs, much like humans, sometimes tend to develop taste a taste foods that are not good for them. If you think that your dog just likes the taste of chocolate, there are special brands of imitation chocolate that are made specially for dogs.

Chocolate poisoning is a horrible way to lose your pet. If you follow these tips, your dog’s sweet tooth won’t mean the end of your beautiful friendship.

Leave a Reply